Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Null Terminated Strings

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:29:23 +0200

On 2005-06-27 ChayoteMu wrote:
I'm not sure if it'd work because I haven't tried it, but if you're
feeling brave you could try to export the registry, then go through
the export file and remove the key from there. Then import the fixed
reg file. It sounds doable, but I don't know what the exported reg
file looks like sp I don't know what's involved in all of that, but
I'll give it a shot tonight.

Importing a .reg file that doesn't contain a specific key surely won't
make that key disappear in the registry. That wouldn't make any sense.
However, creating and importing a .reg file like this may do the trick:

----8<----
REGEDIT4

[-HKLM\Your\Invisible\Key]

Another option may be starting regedit with SYSTEM privileges (e.g. by
using the "at" command as an administrator) and checking the ACLs of the
key in question.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."