Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Reseting root password Was: user name from security logs

From: "Robert Reed" <rreed567 () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:13:57 -0700

yes there is a way to get control back..... I'm not clear if you are
referring to a Linux box or windows.... please clarify?

for windows boxes there are live Linux distros that will allow you to change
the admin password....... with Linux you can attack the shadow password file
and delete the admin password... then log on as root and create a new
password for the root account