Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Alerts of the ICMP relationship with smtp connection?

From: Paulo <listassec () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 05:44:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have a new information about this case. The receiver
mail server is a Merak Mail Server Software 8.0.3.

Does someone know this server? Does it make ICMP
request during the receiving of the e-mail?

Thanks again.

--- Paulo <listassec () yahoo com> wrote:

Hi,

I am using Snort version  Version 2.3.2 (Build 12).
I have in my snort logs the alerts:

366 - ICMP Ping *nix
384 - ICMP Ping
368 - Ping BSDtype

I investigated my others systems logs and in the
time
that this alert is recorded is the same that
registered smtp connection in the maillog arquive
from
my postfix server.

The source IP address in snort's log is equal the
destination IP address in the maillog to smtp
connection.

My smtp server is a Postfix version 1.1.3.

This alerts can to be generated by my mail server
when
it sends mails?

Is this alerts a false positive?

Thanks by help