Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Career Choice

From: Michael Krymson <krymson () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:24:25 -0600

It is a hard road, but you could start out at any sort of entry-level position in a company, even Tech Support (yeah I know you will think oh God, but the experience should be had at least once in every techies career). Pick a company that you can earn you way up in, Tech Support, maybe Systems Administration of some sort, and maybe even earn their trust to give you a shot at security related things. In all you do though, keep security in mind and on your sleeve.

If you mean in terms of what skills you can hone on your own, certainly *nix experience is great. In fact, if you can, make your main computer a Linux computer (or for the brave, a BSD variant). Learn some programming, for instance Perl or Python. With a CS degree, that shouldn't be foreign to you at all.

Learn networking and TCP/IP. You can do some of that at home with your home network. Grab old PCs that no one wants anymore, some cable, and a cheap switch and start playing.

For entry level, you'll need those building blocks among other things, to show you have potential and are willing to learn and research on your own.