Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: securing linux webserver?

From: Hecber Cordova <hecber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:13:56 -0400

        Hi,

        Some Tips:

        - Apache:
                - Enable only needed modules in Apache.
                - Install mod_security, and run apache in a jail with
chroot.
                - Fix all security bugs in Apache installation (see
Bugtraq).
                - See modules like mod_access, mod_auth, mod_rewrite and
mod_ssl, may
help.
        - MySQL:
                - Be carefull with the databases/tables permissions. If
you run MySQL
in the same host than apache, you must run MySQL only in localhost.
                - Use other user than root (Database Superuser), to
connect your
applications in php.
        - Linux:
                - Prevent root login in SSH.
                - Change SSH port (default 22).
                - Permit only SSHv2.
                - Allow access by IP address (if possible).
                - Allow access by user.
                - Install and Configure SELinux, or another RBAC for
Linux Kernel.
                - Install and Configure iptables. Set default police to
DROP, and set
your own polices.
                - Install only needed package.
                - Install security fix for Linux Distribution.
                - Don't install X (you don't needed).

        Regards,

        Hécber Córdova