Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Unrestricted Outbound Web Server Access Opinion

From: Jon Hart <warchild () spoofed org>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 20:12:39 -0400

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 08:54:57AM -0400, Paul Guibord wrote:

Hello All,

Someone within our company wants our Internet facing web servers to have
unrestricted outbound access. Port 80 is the only port permitted from
the outside coming in. I need the experts opinion why we do not want to
permit this PLEASE. Two things I could think of are if the web servers
were compromised, then the hacker would have the ability offload any
data they want. Another being if they were infected with a worm they
would bring down the Internet T1 in their attempt to find other devices
to infect.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

If I were in your position, I'd definitely ask why they want the web
servers to have unrestricted outbound access.  If they have a legit
reason (which is unlikely, IMO), then there has got to be a better way
of doing whatever it is they are doing.

One reason you missed that having unrestricted outbound traffic in
a situation like this is bad is that such a situation makes further
compromise of your machine that much easier.  Say they get in through
a poorly written CGI or, worse yet, a hole in your web server software.
One of the first things that is commonly done is to download some tools
to, say, wipe the logs, gain root/superuser access via local exploit,
and so on.  Without unrestricted outbound access, this makes things
considerably more difficult but not impossible.

There are a few common reasons to allow your webserver to have
unrestricted outbound access.  DNS for local daemon name resolution,
SMTP for any mail that may need to be sent, NTP for keeping accurate
time, and so on.  Two possible solutions, instead of giving the full
outbound access.  One, is to put the DNS, NTP and SMTP servers on
a local network (say in the DMZ with the web server), and then point
your webserver's daemons accordingly.  Two, have a tight firewall ruleset
that only allows DNS, SMTP and NTP traffic to very specific hosts.
Otherwise, if the webserver has unrestricted outbound 53/tcp, 53/udp,
25/tcp and 123/TCP, they could just use any number of tools to further
the compromise of your network by bringing down tools and such over
those ports from servers that they control.

Hope this helps,

-jon