Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linking Password Length to Write-down probability

From: Mihai Amarandei <mihai () xmcopartners com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:10:44 +0200

One idea in order to avoid post-it-passwords could come from something like the password generator Nic Wolff developed. It works for generating and quickly accessing passwords for various Internet sites/domains.

In order to use it you need to remember one main password with which the algorithm produces a different password for every single domain. To achieve this, it concatenates the main password with the site name and it produces the MD5 hash of the resulting string. Simple, efficient and safe.

Disadvantages of this method is that someone who knows your main password knows all your different passwords. On the other side users tend to use the same password anyway, so this kind of exposure is present with the standard approach as well. Also, in order to regenerate passwords at log-in, you will have to retype your master password and that could be annoying.

The advantage is a different and virtually impossible to guess password for every different site. This concept can easily be adapted to other situations and provides strong cryptographic passwords.

My opinion is that remembering and keeping to yourself a good main password, even a passphrase like for example "I will not read /. everyday", is not such a difficult task. Also, retyping this master passwords becomes less annoying after 10 or so times.

Nic's page (http://angel.net/~nic/passwd.html) provides a nice javascript for this and there are also bookmarklets available (http://chris.zarate.org/passwd.txt) in order to facilitate the process.

Mihai Amarandei-Stavila - Xmco Partners
Consultant Sécurité / Test d'intrusion
tel  : 33 1 47 34 68 61
web  : http://www.xmcopartners.com
Villa Gabrielle 75015 PARIS

Personal Blog http://secinternship.blogspot.com

Stian Øvrevåge wrote:

God morning list!

I continually read papers which advertise increased password lenghts (
and outrageous complexity requirements ) as The Solution(TM). I work
in a fairly large organization and I can safely acknowledge that even
8 character passwords with moderate complexity requirements are VERY
prone to beeing written un-encrypted and un-hashed on Post-Its, and
then safely contained, under the keyboard, or on the monitor. Which in
my humble oppinion is bordering to "stupid security".

I'm certain that there is a link between required password lenght and
complexity and the probability of users taking the huge leap backwards
and writing passwords down.

I've been doing a little Googling, but I can't seem to find any
scientific analytical/statistical research done on this particular
subject. Is anyone out there aware of any works done in this field? If
not, is there anyone intrested in conducting such a survey on the
behalf of the community?

Regards, Stian