Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encryption software

From: Christopher Blume <cblume.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:29:06 -0400

Hello Ed,

Is there a specific reason you can't use gpg?  There are a few windows
front-ends for both e-mail clients and normal windows-integration (these are
all listed on the gpg website).

--
Chris

On Monday 09 May 2005 7:16 pm, Ed Smith wrote:
Greetings,

I was following links through the PGPi site for the free Windows PGP
download, and found out that version 8 appears to be discontinued, and
version 9 is now only a 30-day trial. I grabbed the GNUpg command-line
tool to check out since it's free.

Do any of you have any recommendations for free encryption software that
will run on both Windows XP and Windows 2003? I had previously used the
freeware PGP and was happy with it.

EFS is not an option, since the files lose encryption once they are
moved to non-NTFS media.

Edward Smith
esmith () bcc ctc edu