Security Basics mailing list archives

DDoS attacks vs defences for benchmarking methodology

From: misa () hotmail co uk
Date: 6 Nov 2005 15:38:40 -0000

Hello.

I am a Honours Student doing a disseration/project. The title of my project is "The effectiveness of DDoS defences
against DDoS attacks".

I'll be investigating malicious semi/automated DDoS attacks on a network with 10-15 client machines, a single web
server. The defences researched will be preventative router based mechanisms.

The aim is to develop a new methodology for benchmarking defence mechanisms through current research and then utilise
experimental data to produce a measure of the defences effectiveness.

Currently I'm in the research stage of my project.

I am looking for current articles/papers on DDoS attacks and router based defence mechanisms. Along with current
methods of benchmarking/evaluation of defence effectiveness.

I'd like to ask if you could tell me of current benchmarking methods so that I may use them as the basis of my
methodology yet also avoid "re-inventing the wheel" by not doing what has already been done.

If you could also specify common DDoS attacks I should look at and defences this would be most appreciated.

My thoughts at the moment are to examine 3-4 common DDoS attacks and 2-3 defences. Attacks such as spoofed/reflector
floods, brute force.

Thanks.

Asim