Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why NOT to disable Real Time Antivirus on Servers

From: Abe Getchell <mailing.list.spooler () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:13:39 -0500

I'll chime in - five days late! In my experience, it doesn't matter what AV software you're using or on what kind of hardware you're running your mail server. You're going to experience an immediately noticeable performance hit when enabling "real time protection" (or whatever your AV software chooses to call it). Focus, instead, on scanning all mail entering and leaving the mail server (regardless of transport) and providing adequate client-side protection. Since most virus infections I've run across (besides the major worm outbreaks) have generally come from a user downloading a piece of code from somewhere and executing it on their workstation, you should be pretty safe. You're not downloading and executing stuff from the Internet on your mail server, are you?

--
Abe Getchell
abegetchell () gmail com

Micheal Espinola Jr wrote:
Based on real-world testing and application - I agree with your
colleague.  The performance hit is not worth it.  Even on powerful
servers on high-speed networks, myself and my users (when testing got
to that point) noticed a significant performance difference.

Sorry, no case study.  Just undocumented testing with Symantec
products.  I'd be interested to hear about anyone's testing with other
AV apps.