Security Basics mailing list archives

Looking for benchmarking methodologies.

From: misa () hotmail co uk
Date: 14 Nov 2005 16:42:59 -0000

Hello. I'm looking benchmarking methodologies that assess the effectiveness of network defence systems such as IDS.

I'm doing an honours project that involves designing a standardised form of benchmarking for router based defences
against ddos bandwidth attacks.

At the moment my research is bringing up the IBM testbed, UC Davis and DARPA. Along with techniques such as false
positives, quantative measurements for accuracy, etc.

I'm hoping anyone here could inform me of areas to research that may lead to the development of a standardised offline
method of benchmarking performance. Most likely measuring against some form of non-superficial baselines.

If I need to provide more information I will do. My research is uncovering benchmarking that I feel is not something
that can allow a quick solution to comparisons between the effectiveness of defence systems. And being a student, my
critisiscm has no credibility so I need papers to back my ideas.