Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX with SSH enabled on external port for maintenance

From: Cory Stoker <cory () clearnetsec com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:02:51 -0700

As far as the PIX goes I would try to avoid leaving the management functions out in the open. I personally favor connecting to the PIX through IPSec then SSHing or even telneting to the "inside" interfaces through the tunnel. This allows you to also support other management items like SNMP, TFTP, and PDM. Also for PIX versions 6.x, SSH 2 is not supported so you have to use SSH 1. PIX 7.x does include SSH version 2 support.

If you must support SSH to the "outside" interface then you should try to limit the SSH access to specific IP addresses like so:

"ssh 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 outside"

The key to the first solution is the command "management-access" as PIX does not allow you to connect to it from a VPN tunnel terminating on the PIX by default unless you specify this command.

Thanks,
---
Cory Stoker
ClearNet Security