Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus on intranet network

From: Neal C <nealcor () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:28:09 +1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Meyer [mailto:meysteven () gmail com]
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 6:07 AM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Antivirus on intranet network

hello,
I have a "Working" network who is totally disconnected (physically)
from the Internet.
people do the "search" on the "Internet " computers and then go on the
"work" computers for analyse and the store the data.
The Question is: I would need a anti virus on the "work" computers and
I should be able to update the virus database daily without connecting
any computer to the Internet.
Which anti virus should I use and How could I do the update.
Thanks for any help.
Steven Meyer

Steven i would look at those solutions where you can have a
distribution server on the network which is the storage point for the
virus signature updates. CA's inoculate does this as i'm sure many
others do. I think you need the microsoft client installed to access
the file share. In their update queue the clients would update from
the redistribution server first. Your only problem then is to find a
way of updating that redistribution server regularly.

You could also look at zonealarms/checkpoints integrity solution where
i believe every workstation must meet the patch levels you set eg
virus/others before you can authenticate to the network. Have not seen
it in real life but know it exists. good luck
Neal