Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: DHCP security

From: "Payton, Zack" <Zack.Payton () MWAA com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:00:07 -0400

802.1X is a nice switch level protocol that enables one to restrict the
activation of a switchport based on any number of criteria via the
Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) and it's family of relatives.
This suite enables one to restrict access based on any imaginable set of
criteria including MAC address, username, machine name, certificate,
etc.
The option which you mentioned is (at least in the cisco world) referred
to as port security.  This option will allow frames sourced only from
certain MAC adddresses to enter the switch.  802.1x is very simple to
deploy, works cross platform/cross vendor, and offers a plethora of
extentions that you can use including centralized management by
connecting on the backend to a radius/tacacs server.