Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Creating a Test Network

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:53:37 -0400 (EDT)

There are so many options for this; I'll start with
some simple ones.

Don't use ICS is you can avoid it. Go and buy a $29.95
router from your local Staples. It's waaaayyyy better
than running ICS.

As for O/S. This all depends on what you know and want
to learn. You're already going to have Windows, so I'd
put a flavour or two of Linux or BSD on there. You
might want to make one of them something like Knoppix
STD. This will give you most of the security tools you
could want and they're already compiled and ready to
use.

Kenton
--- nietsec () gmail com wrote:

Hey guys !!!

I want to ask some questions regarding a test
network for experiments...I have 3 systems.I have
VMWare 4.5 .Various OS's.etc etc ..I have not taken
CCNA exam ..so please dont mind to answer my silly
questions

1.Can I can use Internet Connection sharing for 2
machines ? Or should i have to take 3 different IP's
from ISP.

2.How many OS's Should i install on 3 systems.

please help me