Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Optical media destruction

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:18:15 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr. wrote:
There is just one SMALL problem with Wikipedia, that is that is an
"open encyclopedia."  Meaning that ANYONE and EVERYONE can go in to
any article and change words, delete words, or whole passages or
even whole articles.  So I'd take anything "published" there with a
rather LARGE grain of salt.

The problem that some "published" information is false is not
unique to wikis, actually, there are mistakes (or deliberate
disinformation) in any media: newspapers, books, web. The positive
side is that you can correct any nonsence once you see it and thus
save the next visitor from disinformation, whereas if you see some
nonsence in a newspaper most likely you will do nothing...

 And then let me add one more step, take those "gazillion" pieces
drop 'em into an OLD double boiler and melt them.  So that after
nuking, "grinding" both sides on a sidewalk, breaking into a
"gazillion" pieces, and melting I think that ANYONE private citizen
or government agency would have a VERY hard time retrieving ANY data
from it.

This time it is much better, and, btw, if you are going to melt it you
can skip that "gazillion" pieces stage -- what if you lost one of them
doing it? :-)

--
Regards,
ASK