Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ecryption Cracking Tools

From: Karsten Iwen <newsletter () saviya de>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:16:11 +0200

Hi,

as your intention should be to learn encryption and decryption I would *not* recommend things like PGP or other advanced stuff. What to learn if it is unbreakable for the others in your class.

You should take a look at http://www.cryptool.com/. With this system you can test many of the "historic" ciphers and give the other classmates a chance to break it.

regards, Karsten

I'm taking a forensics class and we are learning encryption techniques and possible cracking techniques.  We were
tasked to encrypt a file then we will trade file and try to hack each others.

Does anyone know of some good freeware/opensource/trial cracking and/or encryption utilities....
PGP, Blowfish, DES5 etc.
--
Dipl.-Ing. Karsten Iwen
Network- and Security Consultant/Trainer

CCIE #14602 (Security)
CCSI, CCSP, CCIP, CCNP, CCDA
MCSE: Security

http://www.iwen.de