Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: OS to know.

From: Netops <michael () bluesuperman com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:47:49 -0600

No ... No ... No

If you seriously want to lean Linux do NOT start with "Linux from Scratch" or Gentoo.

Linux from Scratch will be to much of a change and work for a new user to Linux. As much as I hate RedHat / CentOS those are the most user friendly distro's out there. I personally like and use Slackware Linux because of the simplicity but it does require more hands on experience if you want to run X.

Gentoo has it's own way of doing things which is great if you want a change from some of the standard distro's or feel like watching your machine compile KDE for 3-5 days.

You should pick a user friendly distro to start with and move on from there.

Michael Gale

Simpson, Brett wrote:
A good Linux OS to start with is Gentoo Linux or Linux from Scratch. They will allow you to get a better understanding
of how Linux is put together and compile applications. Some security apps you will need to compile with special patches
in order to get certain features.

Brett