Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Opinion about CEH

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:58:14 -0400 (EDT)

--- Christopher Carpenter <ccarpenter () dswa net> wrote:

<snip>
GCIA, GCIH, etc - When SANS was still requiring a
practical, these
certifications were the cream of the crop.  The
practical ensured that
the applicant had hands-on experience, thus avoiding
paper-MCSE
syndrome.  Unfortunately, the practical requirement
has been dropped,
and I expect the quality of GIAC-certified
professionals will eventually
decrease in proportion.  That said, if you can get
your hands on their
study materials, you'll be in good shape.

Chris

Having been a local mentor for SANS I can tell you
that you won't be able to legally get your hands on
the SANS study materials. Also to clarify, SANS does
still offer the practical portion of the
certification. There are now two levels of
certification; Exam-only (silver) and exam and
practical (Gold). Anyone who wants to spend the time
and energy can do the Gold cert and write a paper to
go along with their certification.

Kenton