Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Assessing a machine with 2 NICs

From: Jacob Bresciani <jacob () bresciani ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:23:52 -0700

Simple example. In apache's configuration I can bind it to a port (it will listen on port 80 on all IP's) or to an IP address:port (listen on only one IP).

I can also assign multiple IP's to each NIC and thing only bind apache to one of these address's or all or all but 1...

I can slow setup the OS firewall to behave and block/allow differently on each ip address or on each NIC.

So, for TCP/UDP ports you don't need to scan both NIC's so much as you need to scan all IP address's assigned to that machine.

Jacob Bresciani

"Passwords are like bubble gum, strongest when fresh, should never be used by groups and create a sticky mess when left laying around"

-anon