Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: External Network / Firewall Setup.

From: lists () ninjafriendly com
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:00:48 +0100

Quoting Tim.BUTTON () Dest gov au:

but I'm wary of a single point of failure<<<<

I'm not sure what you're referring to about a single point of failure.
sorry, wrong terminology. I meant if firewall (1) is compromised, firewall (2)
should prevent attack from getting into the internal network.

avoid that, you'll need multiple devices in HA, which may well be
overkill for what you need.

yup, which is just as well because we can't afford it.

Something I'm still unsure about is internal clients connecting to
the mailserver in the DMZ - how much of a security issue is this?

Should I use the DMZ mailserver simply as a relay for an internal
mailserver?<<<

IMHO, better to use your box in the DMZ as a relay only. You can run
postfix/sendmail/whatever and use it to do some granular filtering. If
you're keen enough, install some different virus scanner/anti-spam
software on there, and get your box to pass the mail to that before
allowing anything inbound. The other advantage of doing this is that it
allows you to kill anything you don't want at the border. Finally, it
means that if your internal server blows up or something, you'll still
queue inbound mail....which is good.

If you get super keen, you can set it up to run iptables and tcpwrappers
and tie it down.

Cheers - I have some reading to do.