Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Annoyed with M$

From: "Serguei A. Mokhov" <mokhov () cs concordia ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:53:33 -0400 (EDT)

Date: 13 Apr 2006 14:53:36 -0000

I always remove unnecessary programs that I don't use from the
"Add/Remove Windows component" section within Windows. Outlook Express
is one such program that I never ever use and it was unchecked and
subsequently removed with each fresh install of my OS. I accidentally
clicked on an "Email me" link on my friend's website the other day and
was annoyed to discover that Outlook Express was triggered even though
it was supposedly "uninstalled". Is anyway aware of this issue?

Outlook Express is bundled with IE, so when you upgrade or update your IE,
through IE's setup you might have accidentally re-installed Outlook
Express (I don't recall, but it might be checked there by default).

What can be done to entirely remove Outlook Express?

Just try to be more careful with the IE setup/upgrade utility when
updating from Windows Update.

How does one secure their PC when uninstalling unwanted programs don't
complete the job? Are there any other phantom M$ programs that I should
be aware of?

IMO, Windows in itself is one such a "phantom M$ program" :) So the first
step would be to uninstall it :) Okay, no rant. For the rest, let the
Windows experts speak.

--
Serguei A. Mokhov            |  /~\    The ASCII
Computer Science Department  |  \ / Ribbon Campaign