Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: starting point

From: Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:05:28 +1000

If you're a complete noob to infosec then I'd suggest the 401 course from
SANS--it gives more a of a whole picture with some good grounding details
for packet analysis etc.

Kevin's suggestion about Steven's book is right--it is a brilliant tool in
and of itself.
Also, download this from SANS too--laminate it and sit it next to your
ethereal/tcpdump machine
www.sans.org/resources/tcpip.pdf

Ethereal's great because it shows you everything and explains what the hex
means just by clicking on it. However, it's good to learn what the hex means
too. Believe me, you will have an epiphany or two on the road....

Regards
Murad Talukdar