Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Finding Wireless AP's on your network

From: "Goran Pizent" <goran.pizent () ekobit hr>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:09:16 +0200

There is no easy way.

You could ping all hosts in all networks with nmap -sP and through
combination of IP, resolved host name and MAC address find AP's.
If there is no hostname that is suspicious, and of course AP's manufacturers
have their own MAC address pool (so you can compare addresses with their
pool). Hard work and long shot, I agree...

The other solution would be to use Kismet or Airsnort and small WarDriving
around the building, but then again, what if there are 80 different AP's in
the area? Which one is your potential intruder? One with the strongest
signal? And what if signal is intentionally weakened?

My 2c,
Goran