Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why attacker install irc after hacking?

From: Michal Mlotek <mlotek () foobar pl>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:10:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Monty Ree wrote:

Hello, all.

I have operated linux server for a long time.
and I have found that some irc(psybnc etc) related program was installed after scan or hacking.

I can't understand Why attackers installed and executed irc program?
Why attackers use irc after hacking?
Just chatting is not...I guess..

You're close. IRC in this case is a way for controlling hacked system. It is more simple to control many such systems via IRC than to connect each one. When you have a group of systems listening for commands you do not have to burden yourself with giving commands separatedly, no need for checking how many systems has been repaired etc. You just control one IRC channel.

Of course it is possible to do that another way, but why bother if you have ready tool in your grasp

Thanks in advance.
You're welcome.

--
Michal Mlotek