Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Scanning hosts behind a NAT

From: "Craig Van Tassle" <craig () codestorm org>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:16:48 -0500 (CDT)

Hi list ;),
I'm a student and I'm trying to learn how nmap does its job.
Today, for example, I tried to scan my home network ( ;) )... In fact,
I've 2 computers behind a router (which does wireless AP, router &
firewall: linksys wrt54g). Then, I tried to scan from "outside" the
network (aka: from a friend on the internet).
On the router (LAN ip: 192.168.1.1) , I've the port 6356 (Gnutella)
which is forwarded to 192.168.1.2 (my first pc).

When I tried to scan from outside, I obviously obtain:

That is what you would get if you just went up to the front door and
started knocking on it and asking what services they are running.  A
couple of options you may want to look into are FTP bounce scans, the
various other scans that are avaliable with nmap, such as a SIN/FIN/XMAS
scan.  I know that its possible to ping some places and get past the
firewall with various ICMP messages and UDP messages as well.  Also look
at the routing options avaliable to nmap. They may give you some help
getting past NAT.

But as the other poster said 99% of properly configured NATing routes will
return only the external IP address, but just becuause some people say its
not possible does not mean it is. Its just harder then a server with a
true public IP. HTH