Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Clientless VPN (SSL VPN) vs HTTPS

From: "Melchior, Raimar" <raimar.melchior () hp com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:01:46 +0200

Hi,

SSL-VPN is a very attractive alternative to traditional IPSec.
Especially if you are the owner of a dedicated SSL-VPN appliance
(Juniper, F5, Aventail, etc).
There are some pro and cons I want to enumerate.

In general you can access every ressource in your network (not only
email) over different Client OS (Linux, Mac, Windows). Most of the
appliances have a reverse-proxy implemented from which you can access
most applications over an embedded web-client. But you can also setup a
SSL-Tunnel and start a client program on your machine. Traffic through
the Tunnel is directed transparently. Most of them provide
authentication and authorization (Radius, LDAP, RSA-Secure ID,
certificates, etc).

If you have a large number of remote users in the field you save a lot
of time with rollout, because you don't have to configure the remote
client. All configuration is done centrally on the appliance (Web-GUI).
Further on these appliances are coming with a hardended OS and with
embedded security checks. I like the endpoint security very much
(F5-Firepass). You can check the remote client if he has AV, FW, special
registry entries set, and so on (before he gets logged in). This is a
very powerful feature I haven't seen on IPSec clients.

But there are also some disadvantages. It is not complete clientless.
Most of the appliances use ActiveX/Plugins (must be enabled on remote
client) and you can't build up LAN to LAN Tunnels with SSL.

Regards
Raimar