Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DDOS mitigation

From: Christopher Stromblad <cs () outpost24 com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:28:12 +0100

Hi,

perhaps my definitions of products and services are a bit outdated, but
I still consider what you're suggesting below a service, not a product.
No product placed at the clients site can protect against a "flood". It
can perhaps protect the targeted device from crashing or in other ways
fail, but connectivity will still be a problem.

What you are referring to is a service which will route all traffic
through their own filtering mechanisms and systems and then route it
back to the client, this is VERY different from using a product.

As other posters also point out this brings along new security issues
such as company policy et cetera.

Additionally one should consider the added business value and risk
mitigation something like this provides. How likely is this to happen to
this particular company and what are the estimated costs if it was to
happen?

Perhaps I came through to strong, but I've heard too many people
promising this and that.

I can certainly see a value in such a service, but it should certainly
be weighed against the estimated risk and likelihood of such an attack
happening.

// Christopher

Thierry Zoller wrote:
Dear Christopher Stromblad,

CS> your way. This equals to around 1300 Mbps worth of data coming your way.
CS> There is no way you can avoid this.

Get your head out of the sand, there is a way, there are many :
http://prolexic.net/solutions/