Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Risk Ranking...

From: Woods_Beau () dkmc org
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:56:10 -0400

I think the first step in the process is to get a good definition of
"threat", "vulnerability", and "risk".  See Bejtlich's blog for that, or
get his book The Tao of Network Security Monitoring.  His discussions
largely pull on his US Military training and their definitions of these
terms.  Here, you really need to get your head around what you are trying
to do, in general terms.  What is the scope of the project, what are you
really attempting to address, do you have policies regarding this kind of
thing, etc.

Then you need to decide what is most important to you.  In Healthcare, a
virus on a medical device could result in death of one or many people,
whereas a virus on a workstation could just mean wiping out the
installation.  Find a level of protection you want to have and work
backwards from there.  You'll have to put a good bit of time into it to do
it right, but it will be worth it.  You will most likely have to speak to
the Compliance people and determine what their views are for this.  Do not
work in a silo!  Think of this as a part of your business continuity plan.
 Use that plan to determine your most important assets and to help in
figuring out what assets have the highest value to your enterprise.

Next, you'll need to see where you are now -- what devices do you have,
what patch levels are they, who maintains them, are any patches known to
break the apps, what are the risks associated with the computers.  This is
a real pain, it will take a massive effort, and you'll continually have to
update.  Do it in waves or cycles.  Start with a quick nmap scan or
something to see what devices you have and what they're running.  You may
be surprised to find that you have some things you can't identify.  Then
go into more detail as you get your head around what you have to begin
with.

Then you will want to take a look at where you want to end up.  People are
fond of saying that security isn't an end-state, and they're right.  But
you have to have a plan to work towards as a goal.  When you have hit that
target, and even as you progress towards it, you will revise that plan.
After you've made up your plan, you need to think backwards to where you
are now.  That way, you can chart out a timeline and minor goals and
identify areas where you can consolidate projects, etc.

I had the same problem as you when I was trying to come up with some risk
metrics.  Specifically, I was looking for a way to assess ouside threats
and internal vulnerabilities that would allow for some decisionmaking.  I
found Richard Bejtlich to be informative (taosecurity.blogspot.com), as
well as SANS (isc.sans.org and www.sans.org).  However, this is a limited
subset of the real issue, which is keeping the environment secure.  This
larger goal includes issues like privacy leaks, insider threats, natural
disasters, physical threats, etc.  As I don't typically deal with those, I
can't really speak to them all.

But by and large, I just created my own.  I haven't had much time to
refine it to the point where I can create a mathematical score, but here
is what I came up with.  The value to the left of the description is the
assigned risk value.  The theory is that by adding or multiplying these
values, I should be able to give a general idea of how much risk each
vulnerability or threat poses.  The scale is exponential, so that as the
severity of the threat/vulnerability increases, the the total risk
increases faster than linearly.  The idea is that each escalation is more
than just an incremental increase in risk.  However, I have not played
with the numbers to see if they are realistic in practice.

I'm publishing this here, and licensing this entire post under the
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License so anybody can use it
as long as they share their derivations.  Hopefully this will help people
who are looking for this kind of thing and can't find it anywhere else.

Distribution Method Ratings
1       Physical Presence
Delivery:       The vulnerability must be exploited locally.
2       User Interaction
Delivery:       The computer user must directly interact with the system
in order for the vulnerability to be exploited (such as a trojan horse).
4       Mobile Code
Delivery:       The vulnerability is exploitable without direct user
interaction (such as a mobile code exploit or mass mailer virus).
8       Internal Propagation
Delivery:       The vulnerability can be exploited with no user
interaction whatsoever (such as a network worm).
Note:  If a piece of malware is a blended threat (able to exploit multiple
vectors), each method will be taken into consideration.

Malware Damage Levels
1       Light Damage
Potential:      The malware may change configuration settings, deliver
pop-up ads, or redirect web searches.
Repair Time:    Less than one man-hour.  Anti-Virus or other programs may
do this automatically
2       Moderate Damage
Potential:      The malware may do any of the above.  Additionally, it may
log and send information from the computer, attempt to send mass amounts
of email, close or crash programs, and/or change important configuration
settings.
Repair Time:    Between one and two man-hours.  Anti-Virus and other
automatic programs may help, but much of the work will be done manually.
4       High Damage
Potential:      The malware may do any of the above.  Additionally, it may
reboot, slow down, or crash the computer, prevent programs from
functioning normally, delete or overwrite system files, prevent the
computer from starting, and/or remotely infect other computers through the
network.
Repair Time:    Between one and four man-hours.  The computer may have to
be reimaged.  If the computer has compromised others, the repair time will
escalate due to the volume of computers infected.
8       Extreme Damage
Potential:      The malware may do any of the above.  Additionally, it may
delete or overwrite important data, transmit confidential or patient data,
and/or generate massive amounts of network traffic.
Repair Time:    Unknown number of man-hours.  The computer will most
likely have to be reimaged.  Any locally stored data may have to be
recreated; any data stored on the network may need to be restored.  If the
computer has compromised others, the repair time will escalate due to the
volume of computers infected.

System Exposure Levels
1       No Exposure
Prevalence:     No computers have exposure or are likely to be compromised
in a widespread event, but the organization may be indirectly affected by
other organizations? exposure.
2       Low Exposure
Prevalence:     Exposure exists on less than 20% of our systems are
vulnerable or are likely to be compromised in a widespread event.
4       Moderate Exposure
Prevalence:     No more than 60% of our systems are vulnerable or are
likely to be compromised in a widespread event.
8       High Exposure
Prevalence:     More than 60% of our systems are vulnerable or are likely
to be compromised in a widespread event.

Vulnerability Threat Levels
2       Minor Threat
Viability:      No Proof of Concept (POC) code or working exploits are
thought to be available.
4       Escalating Threat
Viability:      POC code is available, but no working exploit is thought
to exist.
8       Known Threat
Viability:      A working exploit is thought to exist.

Importance Levels
1       None
Systems:        None of the following
2       Desirable
Systems:
 4      Essential
Systems:
 8      Mission Critical
NOTE:  This should closely resemble your Business Continuity Plan for
which apps, servers, etc. are most important.

This metric was designed specifically for Microsoft patches on Black
Tuesday, but it may apply to other events with minor adjustments.
Patch Installation Determinations
        Disallowed
Explanation:    The patch is known to cause programs to function
incorrectly.  The risk of not patching is low.
        Discouraged
Explanation:    The patch may have unknown effects even though the patch
has been tested.
        Recommended
Explanation:    The patch will probably not cause any unintended
side-effects because it only affects software not required for business
use.
        Encouraged
Explanation:    Significant risks exist by not patching; the patch does
not break critical applications.
        Essential
Explanation:    There is a high risk to the organization if the patches
are not applied.  The risk may even dictate that the patch be applied
immediately, and without testing.

"Barrick, Chanda B" <cbbarric () iupui edu>
08/28/2006 09:41 PM

<security-basics () securityfocus com>
cc

Subject
Risk Ranking...

I am trying to figure out how to develop a risk ranking methodology for
incident reporting in a healthcare environment.  I don't even really know
where to begin.  I've been googleing, but I'm not finding much that is
helpful.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Chanda

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence
in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec
management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed
degree,
without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus