Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: advice for ccna certification

From: "Shain Singh" <shain.singh () aapt com au>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:03:34 +1100

Steve Kalcevich wrote:

What I can also say is just use the Cisco press books. The
test questions do
come from the Cisco press books..Oh and DON'T even think
about testking or
some junk like that.

I think that people's responses for studying for certifications is about as
varied as methods for curing hangovers. I would have to agree with the
hands-on part though. The simulations are great, but nothing beats the real
thing. Having said that, I have day to day access on lots of serious telco
Cisco gear but I can't very well practice my RIP routing or configuring
interfaces on those.

I found that reading the Cisco Press books end to end and doing all the
questions were a huge help. I treated it like studying for any other subject
I would have in university, etc. and this is where the simluation comes in
handy, because I found that you NEED to do this just to get used to the
"Cisco method" of questions/exams.

In short, use the Cisco Press books, practice on the Boson sims they give
you, and you can use the Sybex book as a good "summary of how to pass". Do
as many simulation exams as you can, so that you're completely prepared not
only in terms of subject matter but on the actual exam technique.

I had the same opinion of TestKing as Steve, but I tend to think of it like
this... if you're studying for an exam you need to know what "past papers"
are like, and for this TestKing is great. If you simply want to pass the
exam and not get a firm grasp of the content, then do TestKing after
TestKing and nothing else and odds are you can probably pass quite easily
too..

--
Shaineel Singh
MakePeace Media LTD

http://mpm.org.au/shsingh
pgp id:  0xA9D8D351
fp: 38 0D A8 C8 74 A2 33 5E CE 0E 5A FA D5 A0 04 7C

This message was written entirely with recycled electrons.