Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: News Item: UN warns on password 'explosion'

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 07:18:19 -0500

Interesting feedback.

I implemented a discussion forum at ASU (university) for Objectivity
DB using the email auth that i mentioned in my last email. So here are
some of my thoughts about the issues that you raise.

1) True. If there was a spam attack it would generate lot of bounce
backs, which could in turn a cause a DOS scenario. However we never
received such a attack (I guess the forum wasn't popular enough ;))
But my .procmail was setup to /dev/null any non-standard emails, so I
didn't see any bounce back cause by spams.

2) True. I don't have a solution to this. Maybe only allowing 1 post /
hour is a way to mitigate this.

3) Captcha should solve this issue, and issues #1 and #2 as well.
Granted captcha requires additional work on part of the user, but
isn't typing a 5 digit number easier then remembering
usernames/password for X number of forums ??? In my opinion using
captcha is much more easier and convenient for users. I know some
people might not agree with this.

Just a thought....

saqib
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net