Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Receiving spam from my own server

From: "Adam Rosen" <ajrosen () buffdata com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:31:16 -0500

Dave,

When you say "I am receiving spam e-mails", what inbox is getting those
emails? Is it your dave.j.moore () gmail com account? Do you have any
forwarding set up for any email to someone () foobar net to go to that
address? If info () foobar net for example is set to forward to your gmail
account, than this is common - and the sender address is the easiest
thing to forge. Making it look as if someone inside your domain is the
sender is an old trick. I'd say that someone sent an email to
info () foobar net where it got picked up by an internal mail server which
then forwarded the mail to gmail.

Adam