Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: dd for windows and imaging a 40Gb drive

From: Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:07:37 +1000

Thanks Paul,
Now the source machine in question is a winxp box so I take it that running
dd and piping to nc would mean booting to a live cd(on source machine) in
order to prevent any 'interference' with the data?
Now I'm assuming that when running a live cd (knoppix std or FIRE eg) will
mean that the main partition should show up as /dev/had or similar even
though it is a windows box. Is that right?
What I really need is a copy of this user's pst files for legal to check for
'incriminating' (ie non-criminal) emails but I did suggest to them that
taking an image of the drive first, for possible later use may be advisable.
Now I'm not a forensic expert and I did say that normally this should be
done by such but they have said that it really is just a preliminary
investigation. <shrug>