Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Help with guidlines

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:04:13 -0800

  Cisco refers to these rogue/departmental "IT" functions as
"shadow IT", and has adopted a corporate policy of rooting
them out and either assimilating them or getting rid of them.
Last I heard, actual progress was slow as departments are, of
course, loathe to trust the corporate IT department....

  (It's not that I don't understand and sympathize with the
*problem* that these user departments face.  I'm just certain,
bolstered by anecdotes like this, that this particular "cure"
is often worse than the original disease(*).)

(*) which, in turn, I suspect results from too many IT employees
who aren't really trained in IT and don't really want to do it --
they're getting paycheques and something that looks kinda like
experience while waiting for a "real" programmer or design job
to open up.

David Gillett