Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux auditing checklist, documents

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:30:58 +0530

On 17/12/06 11:25 +0100, urandom character special device wrote:
I am Linux System Administrator at a telecom provider. Our customer
inform us to send soon independent security auditors to have a look at
our Linux systems. They will have a root password and make an in deep
analysis of the systems.

 am not quite sure I would allow a random third party root access to my
 servers.

I wish to prepare. What "commands" and "config files" they will look?
Are there Linux Security Guidelines? They wont use automated tools.

I am not an auditor, so take this with a pinch of salt:

Lots of Linux security guidelines on the net. Personally, I would look at
permissions on config files, up-to-dateness of patches, running
processes, and a comparison of your configuration against your security
policy.

Devdas Bhagat