Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Signing up for spam?

From: Neil <neil () voidfx net>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:49:19 +0530

On 2/3/2006 12:01 PM, Elliott Back wrote:
Hi there,

I am interesting in getting as much spam as possible for an experiment
to eyemyspam () gmail com , the address that I used to sign up here.  So
far I've put a mailto on a high traffic site, and am experimenting
with newsletters, domain information, usenet, opt-out forms, and more.
 Are there any automated tools to sign someone up for a high volume of
spam?  Google didn't help much here.

Thanks,
Elliott Back

I don't think most people really want to, they get enough of it without
trying.  :P

But, if you're making a special effort, I advise a few things.
        1.  Try with a hotmail account.  I don't know how it is now, but it
used to be horrible without even ever using the account.
        2.  Go to Usenet, and you'll find a bunch of forums that have a bunch
of bots posting...just drop it in plain sight there.
        3.  If you have money to blow, you might try signing up to some adult
sites.
        4.  Lastly, there are sites that have open mailboxes, where you put
their mailbox down if you suspect it is sketchy, but still want to
register.  (Dodgeit.com is my personal fav.)  Open up some of the
predictable addresses there ('a', 'john', 'spam', 'junk', etc.) and see
what spam is there.  Then click on the links in those mails and send
mail back (attempt to unsubscribe, perhaps), and use your own address,
and see what happens.

Hope it helps.

--
Neil.
http://voidfx.net

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus