Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SF new column announcement: Google's data minefield

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 02:37:59 -0500

Kelly Martin wrote:
The following Front Page column was published on SecurityFocus today:

Google's data minefield
by Mark Rasch
2006-01-30

The U.S. government's broad subpoena to search engines effectively seeks
to mine the data of the Internet. While Google has resisted the
subpoena, there may be little they can do to protect our privacy from
prying eyes.

Really?  They could simply not log it.

I have had customers in the past where we decided not to retain information such as search queries, mail server logs, web server logs, etc. It's somewhat empowering to tell someone's attorney, "Sorry, I can't give you that information -- we don't retain it."

Of course, the downside to Google not logging the search terms would be that they wouldn't have access to them either. Google needs that type of information in order to survive, one could argue.

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN, Linux+, Network+
LinuxWiz Consulting

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus