Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:41:14 +1100

Hello

Here I have to state that I agree 100% and categorically with Dave.

FUD - Fear Uncertainty and Doubt is a common tool used by vendors to sell security. It is also one of the greatest
threats to security today.

It makes people inured to security in the long run (i.e. cry wolf) and in the short term results in a lot of technical
solutions that generally fail to address the issue.

NASA uses hazard and survivability models to determine risk. They do not engineer to not fail - they just reduce the
probability of an incident. What needs to be remembered that is that 1 in a million occurrence happens all the time in
the real world. Even a 1 in a billion occurrence will happen daily somewhere in the world. Welcome to the world of risk.

So as to the original post, how would complex software make you less risk prone?

Regards,
Craig