Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: sniffers

From: "John Patota" <john.patota () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:27:03 -0500

Using ethereal you can set up monitors in different problem spots on
the network. You can analyze the flow of traffic first ruling out the
possibility that someone inside can have a virus or is downloading
excessive amounts of material. Once you are certain the traffic is
legit, you have a load balancing problem you can address by reshaping
your topology based on the current bandwidth requirements,
anticipating what future needs will be as best you can to head off any
forthcoming issues.

A good idea is to have a proactive approach to network monitoring.
Snort is a good tool for identifying not only malicious activity, but
when configured properly, can give you fair idea of traffic analysis
as well.

- John Patota