Security Basics mailing list archives

Suggestions to secure FTP and trusted network

From: mail2day () cox net
Date: 30 Dec 2005 21:54:30 -0000

hi and new to the field. I have the following setup:

TRUSTED NETWORK consists of a oracle server/apache webserver/mail server. Apache webserver has FTP Services enabled
outbound only to FTP sever in service network(DMZ). It also has http/https enabled. Oracle server dumps data to
webserver. SMTP services enabled out to cloud on mailserver.

FIREWALL(CISCO PIX)

FTP server with two Nics to interface with internal trusted network and external cloud(incoming FTP from outside static
ip clients)ALL OTHER DENY

FIREWALL(CISCO PIX)

UNTRUSTED NETWORK. CLIENTS WITH FTP APPLICATIONS THAT PUSH DATA TO FTP SERVER.
Clients that run HTTP/HTTPS services to webserver on trusted network.

With the very brief scenario above, I would like comments on vulnerabilities and how well the service network with dual
nics protects me. Tks!

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus