Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Program to monitor employee internet usage

From: Cam Fischer <camfischer () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 12:33:03 -0700

We use an application called Websense.

What we do is this:

Intercept all HTTP traffic destined for the internet, and redirect
(Via a Web Switch Module - Layer 7 switching)  to a Squid Server that
is running Websense.

That way, users do not have to configure anything, and they can also
NOT bypass the proxy.

All traffic is logged, and the reporting is actually quite good. It
integrates with AD (Active Directotory), which allows you to report on
users from AD, you can pick specific times, etc... it is all logged to
a SQL database.

This works for all of our users 6000+, and it works quite well...

Let me know if you require additional information on the specifics, or
would like help with an implementation plan......

Cam

On 23 Dec 2005 16:49:48 -0000, invstg8r () hotmail com