Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Where to start?

From: insecure <insecure () yandex ru>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 18:09:29 +0300

Hello RBJohns,

As a Computer Science student focusing on network security, I
know that I need certifications.  I am looking at Security+, Linux+,
CISSP, and Certified Ethical Hacker as a start.  While looking for
training material I have realized that there are many different ways
to go.  Does anyone have any suggestions on study material?  Should
I use a book?  If so, which ones are good?  Should I go for
computer-based training?  Any suggestions and/or input would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

AFAIK any serious certifictaion expects solid work experience, also
you need to make some achievement in chosen area (white papers, etc.)
As for books, I find some of them quite useful, look here:

http://ebuki.apvs.ru/

--
 Roman Shirokov
 Systems Administrator

 Key fingerprint: 85A4 8586 FEEE 171B D0F1  A9C1 27C8 A907 EE45 7D0E

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus