Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security and EOL issues

From: "Donald N Kenepp" <don () videon-central com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:08:03 -0500

Hi Matthew,

  Let's extract some bait here.

(Full original message from Matthew can be found below.)

I know I'm speaking from my point of view here
  . . .
A belief that a good company, if Microsoft were one
  . . .
in this specific instance, an easily exploitable flaw/intentional backdoor

  Yes, I think your vantage point is clear.

  There are some points where you almost seem to concede that Microsoft
doesn't have a responsibility to upgrade the code, but I think you are
eventually discounting some of these points because you feel Microsoft
should be seen as naughty or even malevolent.

  Again, sadly, I have to refer you to the idea that something that is
honorably (or dishonorably - even the staunch Microsoft people aren't big on
Windows Me) discharged it is eventually not worth the time, money, or effort
to fix for either the vendor or the consumer.

  Ford doesn't support the classic 65-72 Mustangs either.  Plenty of people
drive them; more wish they hadn't gotten rid of theirs.  You might even
still find a few wealthy people like to restore Model Ts.  That doesn't
necessarily make them safe to drive, even if the government regulations say
they are safe on the road.

  It also doesn't make Ford "slightly irresponsible" for not making free OEM
three-point seatbelt upgrades for some of them.  I think most people agree
that lap belts aren't necessarily enough.  It is *possible* to get
three-point seatbelts installed for the front seats in a '66 Fastback, but
it takes quite a bit of doing, and still doesn't quite turn out to be
perfect.  For the convertibles, I can only imagine that you'd have to alter
the entire frame of the car, much like eventually NT 4.0 simply can't be
altered enough to be reasonably secure without a complete redesign from the
ground up.

  You have to choose whether to use the stock car or to modify it for
safety.  You also have to realize that after a certain point you can't
necessarily make a rear-wheel drive quite as safe in the snow, or that
putting in the racing cage, all around disc brakes, and the full Shelbe
stabilization package is going to cost you more than a new car.  It's your
choice if you want to try and do it, but when you get that far you are
accepting that you *want* to use the old car more than the new one that's
OEM supported and therefore possible, easier, and cheaper to maintain with
regard to current safety realities.

  If you truly have consumer dissatisfaction rather than a long fishing
pole, I would suggest Linux.  If you don't like what Microsoft is doing,
don't use their systems.  If NT 4.0 support isn't doing it for you anymore,
use something else.  I do like Microsoft products for a lot of tasks, but
Microsoft isn't the only fish in the sea.

However, I can think of a myriad of reasons
why you'd stay on legacy software in many environments, with cost
being an obvious one, but compatibility being another.

  Cost issue?  Pick your free OS flavor.  Compatibility issue?  I don't
think I've run into a program yet, though I suppose I have to admit it isn't
impossible, that ran on NT 4.0 and doesn't run on NT 5.0.  If your systems
don't support anything newer than 4.0, I'd recommend new systems, or again,
a transfer over to a non-GUI-based OS if the cost of replacing old hardware
is an issue.

  If your software vendor doesn't support anything newer, why pick on
Microsoft alone?  Tell your vendors to give you a free software upgrade that
runs on your new OS and see how far you can get telling them they are
"slightly irresponsible" if they don't provide free updates to their
software so that it runs on newer systems.  I'd call them responsible for a
lack of compatibility if they haven't created an option to move off NT 4.0
for you by now.

Compare that with the cost that it would have taken MS to fix the problem
in NT,

  Honestly, I would assume that Microsoft paid quite a bit of overtime on
this already, but yes, perhaps that is a drop in the bucket.  However, how
much does it cost a year for Microsoft to keep resources on Windows NT 4.0,
Windows 98, etc. rather than moving those resources over to newer OS support
or development?  You might find a bigger number.

it would have been a nice bone from a company that's been fairly
anti-consumer since it first flexed its muscle.

  I'm not sure that I buy into Microsoft being anti-consumer, but that's
your right.  To me, the problem in the past was that Microsoft has been a
bit too pro-consumer and anti-security until XPSP2.  They were too concerned
that they would lose customer-base if they created compatibility issues or
more complex installation / configuration needs with enhanced security.

  Microsoft is changing from making a mess trying to keep code that is
insecure just to be compatible and instead are finally ditching some old
code to try and make consumers more secure at the potential cost of making a
few people unhappy.  Do they have a long way to go as far as security
practices?  Yes.  Are they making a good effort in the right direction at
the moment?  I believe so.

  There is always going to be someone still using Windows NT 4.0, or Windows
98 as long as they feel they can get away without upgrading.  The problem is
that there was fair warning that problems like these would eventually
appear.  Where are you actually willing to draw the line?  The vulnerability
exists in some form for Windows 95.  Does Microsoft owe us a patch for that
too?  Perhaps the line seems to magically be at NT 4.0 because that's where
the businesses that would never bother to upgrade if they could manage it
are left standing.

  When I see a friend or client with NT 4.0 or Windows 9x I'm not
complaining that Microsoft doesn't properly support it, I'm working to get
it migrated or protected by other means as fast as humanly possible,
especially because with every year these systems are more susceptible to
security issues.  It's old code trying to beat out new malware innovations.
Eventually it's easier to start with better base code.

  There are people who take the next step and claim Microsoft is is also
slightly irresponsible if they don't patch pirated software.  Sometimes
Microsoft does end up doing it anyway in an effort to keep things safer on
the whole, but are they irresponsible if they don't, or taking on extra
responsibility if they do?  I'd say the later, and I thank them for thinking
of the Internet as a whole regardless of cost when they do, no matter how
often or infrequent that may be in some eyes.  There are plenty of people
using pirated software that want all the updates to work on the unlicensed
versions.

  I do agree with some of the things you said, but I have to disagree with
what seems to be your general attitude toward when Microsoft or any other
software vendor should be called irresponsible.

  I am a bit curious as to what it would take for you to say a system no
longer deserves Microsoft security patches.  If you don't draw the line for
NT 4.0, where do you draw it?  You are welcome to let things rest or reply,
but if it is more allusions to conspiracies and the evil empire, I'll have
to let someone else bite.  It's may also be best served as a direct
discussion rather than on the list.

  So above become my views and recommendations.  Rather than wasting
comments and ending up involved in dirt throwing, I'll let my point rest
from here.  Perhaps something I've said will convince you, or change your
view slightly, or perhaps we need to just assume the other isn't going to
change their view and people listening have made up their minds as well.  I
did take the time to think about my views on the subject, so I do thank you
all for the discussion.

  Sincerely,
    Donald