Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: router question...

From: Mike Sweeney <mikesweeney () packetattack com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:06:16 -0800

On Jan 23, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Yousef Syed wrote:

Personally, I've had anumber of problems with common-off-the-shelf
Routers/firewalls.
From wireless encryption no longer working after updating the firmware
(Belkin 54g) to Passwords refusing to be set (Dlink MIMO Wireless
Router).

<sigh> Smoothwall never gave me any such problems...
They may not be as "userfriendly" or easy to use, but atleast
Smoothwall style firewalls actually work. I keep Smoothwall as the
outside gateway, simply because I no longer trust these COTS
routers/firewalls.

The most successfull home user router/firewall so far has been m0n0wall built on a WISP platform. Bullet proof, never dies, serves DHCP just fine across multiple platforms and just plain works. Total cost was about two hundred dollars (US) which was the WISP board and case. Very small footprint. Smaller than a PIX 501.

MikeS

ys