Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Social Engineering

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:09:12 +0100

On 2005-12-30 elite.coder () ntlworld com wrote:
I am currently planning on writting a thesis on social engineering, I
have been fascinated with this subject since I watched Hackers 2/
Takedown and read Kevin Mitnick's book.

Now before I fully take on this idea, what products currently exist to
minimize/prevent social engineering? If anyone saw Hackers 2/Takedown,
Tsutomu Shimomura used a program that could tell him if the person on
the phone actually exists in a company, does this sort of software
exist?

Social engineering cannot be mitigated through software. That's the
whole point about it. I suggest you re-read "The Art of Deception".

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus