Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Two Factor authentication and changing passwords

From: "Nick Owen" <nickowen () mindspring com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:39:14 -0500

If they are using the OTP and PIN, why are they using passwords at all? Or
are they using SecurID for remote access and therefore feel they don't need
to change their LAN passwords?  If the latter, I can see why they are saying
that - passwords are a pain.  Can they segment critical sections of the lan
or applications off as remote access, requiring 2FA?

If they are using passwords with the PIN and OTP for remote access, I say
drop the passwords altogether.  They are more likely to get sniffed on
wireless connection, etc.

HTH,

Nick