Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows EFS and Changing a Local Account Password

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:26:41 -0700

  No; the key(s) will be decrypted and re-encrypted with the new
password.

  But if you reinstall the OS and so generate a new set of accounts
and SIDs -- even if you name them the same as the old ones! -- the
linkage is broken.  So I don't recommend using EFS with local accounts,
only with accounts managed from a stable domain controller infrastructure.

David Gillett