Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: "Gregory Rubin" <grrubin () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:27:33 -0700

While dictionary attacks are very useful, the ease of remembering a
passphrase makes up for the difference (IMHO).  For example, take the
following passphrase (which I don't use anywhere):

Once upon a mid-night dreary while I pondered, "What's a door?"

Perfectly correct English and very easy to remember (especially if you
ever read the Mad spoof of "The Raven").  It also is 63 characters
long, mixed case, with symbols, and doesn't exist as a string in any
published text.  Is it really that vulnerable to dictionary attacks?

I can't remember highly complex passwords of more than about 8 to 12
characters.  Once I get too many of them, I need to start writing them
down unless I make them easy to remember, and with only 8 char. to
work with (as many of my passwords are restricticted in length) it is
very hard not to compromise the complexity while being easy to
remember.  On the other hand, I easily remember several different
passphrases of lengths ranging from 20 to (now) 63 and though there is
one that I haven't used in about a year, it is still fresh in my mind.
This reduces the problems of recording passwords in insecure
locations or needed passwords reset.

Greg

On 17 Jul 2006 19:55:09 -0000, eric.baechle () dhs gov