Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Web Authentication

From: Nick Owen <nickowen () mindspring com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:54:04 -0400

pimp mastermind wrote:
I have Slackware 10.1 runing. I am using it as a router and
fileserver. I use Apache 1.3 for web access. I have some web
directories which i want to secure more strongly than with htpasswd
but i dont know any other ways of authentication. Also a lot of my
scripts in those directories are wirted in PHP Perl and CGI scripting.
I need to find a better way of authentication? Does any one knows any
better way of authentication?
Thank you all in advance for your help

You should be able to easily require different authentication mechanisms
by using the various mod_auth_ tools and the directory or location
directives.  I just finished a doc on setting up apache to use
mod_auth_radius and WiKID for two-factor authentication, which should
help for any form of 2FA with apache:
http://www.wikidsystems.com/howtos/how-to-add-two-factor-authentication-to-apache/

I would be happy if you tried the open source WiKID server.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikid-twofactor/

You will find network client 'plugins' for PHP, ruby, python, etc on our
sf.net site here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=144774 (sorry, no
perl as of yet).

hth,