Security Basics mailing list archives

Penetration tester skill set,

From: "IRM" <irm () iinet net au>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:44:10 +1000

All,

I am new to the list and also to the security. I hope this is the right
forum to ask a question since it is called "security-basic" forum. I
came across to the archive on this forum and found an interesting post
called "Death of the security community"
(http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/105/428207/30/1590/threaded)

Straight to the point, I would like to know; what is the 'typical' skill
set that a penetration tester should have. The reason why I asked this
question is because part of penetration testing is a vulnerability
assessment. On most of the penetration testing report it's required you
to insert the "proof of concept" section on how to get in to the
specific condition maybe in this case an administrator/root privilege.

Running tools like Rainbow Crack or Nessus does not required a lot of
skill. In fact it is something that everyone can do! This is definitely
does not bring any values to the customer. At the same time, I need to
be a realistic too that finding a bug and writing the exploit as a proof
of concept are required a lot of effort. For some reason I can see a
dilemma in here.

So back to my question; what is the typical skill set that a penetration
tester should have?

Can anyone in here give me some light about this?